Incoming Exchange Students
In order to study at the University of Limerick as an international exchange student, the student's home institution must have a bilateral agreement with UL and the student must be nominated by their home institution.
- Application deadline for Autumn Semester: June 30th
- Application deadline for Spring Semester: October 31st
When the student has been nominated by their home institution, the student should:
- Complete the International Exchange Online Application Form, the link and the password for which will be sent to the student's personal email address. Information on terms dates, accommodation and other matters will also be forwarded to the student's e-mail account.
- Reserve accommodation – Students can apply for on campus accommodation or choose to live in private accommodation off campus. Further information is available on the Accommodation page. Once you have been issued with a UL student ID number you are eligible to apply for on-campus accommodation. ID numbers are issued with your offer letters.
- Select provisional modules. Students can download a copy of the ECTS booklet, which contains descriptions of all available modules. Students will need to select their modules in conjunction with the Academic Coordinators at their home university.
- Book flights to arrive at UL in time for Orientation Week. This is a two-day programme that takes place before week 1.
We provide complimentary airport collection on Monday and Tuesday of orientation week.
Monday 29th and Tuesday 30th August 2016 for students beginning studies in the autumn. You will get your ID card and campus tour on Tuesday 30th August 2016. To sign up for airport collections, just fill in our airport collection form. Our deadline for completing this form is 22nd July.
Monday 16th and Tuesday 17th January 2017 for students beginning studies in the spring. We will be in email contact closer to the start of the semester with information on how to sign up for airport collection.
Immigration and Medical Insurance Information
All International Exchange Students are required to register with the Garda Immigration Services within 2 weeks of arrival in Ireland and will be issued with a Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) Card. There is a fee of €300 for this card. Medical insurance for non-EU nationals is a compulsory requirement when applying for the GNIB Card. Students attending the University of Limerick can purchase a medical insurance policy online at a cost of €120 through the UL International Student Payments Service webpage. Simply choose the option for Medical Insurance - 1 year (EUR120). As an International Exchange Student, there is no requirement to pay any other fees on this page. Other companies providing private medical insurance in Ireland include AVIVA, Laya-healthcare and VHI Healthcare.