The University of Limerick welcomes applications from international students.
Research Programmes - All applicants - EU & Non EU should first try to identify a potential supervisor and a project. Completed research application forms should be sent to the Postgraduate Admissions Office.
The full application process is outlined here
English Language Requirements:
Applicants who do not have English as their first language must include the following additional documents with their application form:
- English translation of your qualification(s)/transcripts
- English language competency certificate
Applicants from non-English speaking countries are required to have a high level of competence in English.
Requirements for Research Programmes
Candidates may be required to demonstrate their competence in the English language by interview. In addition, candidates must either provide certified confirmation that they have completed a primary or a master’s degree through the medium of English or submit the official results of English proficiency tests as per the requirements specified in the list below. The University may consider English proficiency tests other than those listed in the table as meeting the English language requirements for pursuing a higher degree at UL.
- TOEFL - a minimum score of 580 (paper based) or 90 (internet based) in a TOEFL test
- IELTS - The British Council/University of Cambridge Local Syndicate's test of Academic English, International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum score of 6.5 with no less than 6 in any one component. Please note some programmes have a higher IELTS requirement.
- Leaving Certificate English at Grade D Ordinary Level or above
- GCE O Level English Language at Grade C or above
- GCSE English language at Grade C or above
- University of Cambridge ESOL: Certificate of Proficiency in English - Grade C/Certificate in Advanced English - Grade A
- Matriculation Examinations: From european countries where English is presented as a subject and an acceptable level is achieved.
- (ETAPP) English Test for Academic and Professional Purposes: Grade C1
The following standard in English Language examinations set by certain GCE Examination Boards - any one of
|Associated Examining Board (AEB)||C or above|
|Oxford Delegacy of Local Examinations (Oxford)||C or above|
|Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate Syndicate (Cambridge)||School Certificate Pass in the range 1-6|
|University of London University Entrance and School Examinations Council (London)||School Certificate Pass in the range 1-6|
For students who have completed their undergraduate education outside of Ireland a list of recognised non-Irish qualifications is available from the Postgraduate Admissions Office.